Sweet Smoked Mallard Duck
Prep Time: 3 days
Cook Time: 2 hour 10 minutes
Yield: 2 people
- 1 Whole Mallard Duck (plucked, skin on, fatty if possible)
- Fruit Juice
- Maple Syrup
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Pierce duck all over with knife to create flavour pockets to allow fruit juice to marinate into meat.
- Then cover duck with fruit juice and some salt. Let marinate in the fridge for 2-3 days, rotating every day.
- Remove from marinade 12-24hr before cooking and let dry out in fridge uncovered.
- Pre-heat smoker to 250°
- Season duck with Maple Syrup and Old Bay Seasoning outside and inside duck.
- Cook on smoker, basting with maple syrup 3 times, cook for 1hr 45min-2hr, or until internal temp reaches 160° in breast, then pull and brown skin in 500° oven for 10min, being careful not to burn skin. Then let rest for 10min before carving.
- Serve with wild rice with sautéed leeks and sage.
Recipe by: Michael E. Higgins