Smoked Moose Pinwheel
Prep Time: 15 min (plus time for caramelizing onions)
Cooking Time: 1 hr 25 min
- Moose Loin (back strap) (Vinson will also work)
- Cream Cheese
- Steak Spice
- Fresh Sage
- Caramelized Onions; onions, garlic, thyme, S&P, butter, oil.
- Caramelized Onions; heat large non-stick pan with lots of butter and a little olive oil to medium heat. Slice About 6-8 small-med yellow onions, add them to the pan alone with some diced garlic and freshly picked thyme. Season with S&P and cook for 10 min stirring often. Turn heat down to low and cook for an hour or until onions become nice and caramelized, stirring every 10 min or so.
- Bring your meat up to room temp by removing it from the fridge 1-2 hrs before cooking.
- Butterfly loin and pound to 1/4″ thick.
- Layer with prosciutto, cream cheese & caramelized onions. Leave a good inch from the start and end and don’t over fill.
- Roll fairly tight and then tie with butcher string; starting in the middle and then on each end and then a couple more the middle.
- Season with salt and steak spice.
- Smoke for 1 hr-1 hr 20 min at 225°F, until an internal temp of 120°-130°.
- While roll is smoking, make brown butter; in a small sauce pot add butter garlic and chopped sage, simmer over low-med heat, stirring often until sage and garlic is cooked and the butter becomes brown, about 10-15 min.
- Remove roll and crank heat up to 450°F and adjust flame guard for direct grilling. Baste roll with brown butter and quickly cook on grill until some nice char marks develop.
- Rest meat 5 min, then sliced and serve with a little more brown butter.
Recipe by Michael E. Higgins