This Black Bear Ragu recipe is a super easy way to elevate those wild game sausages you have sitting in the freezer.
Smoked Black Bear Ragu
Prep Time: 10min
Cooking Time: 60-90min
•4-6 Wild Game Sausages (we used Black Bear in this video)
•1 Red Onion (chopped)
•1 Yellow Bell Pepper (chopped)
•2 Zucchinis (chopped)
•12 Baby Potatoes (halved)
•3-4 Garlic Cloves (diced)
•1 Rosemary Sprig (leaves picked)
•1 Can Whole Tomatoes (crushed with your hands)
•1-2 tsp Smoked Paprika
1. Pre-Heat Smoker to 250F.
2. Chop veggies and dice garlic.
3. Heat large cast iron pan to med-high heat with no added fat. Lightly char the onion, zucchini, pepper and potatoes, stirring often, for about 7-10min.
4. Once the veggies start to get chard, add your garlic, rosemary, S&P and a good drizzle of olive oil, stir well and cook for a couple more minutes.
5. Then add the can of tomatoes, crushing them with your hands as you add them, also pour in any excess liquid from the can, then stir well and bring to a boil.
6. Add sausages on top and drizzle with olive oil, then add to the smoker and cook until an internal temp of 160F is reached in the sausages, this should take about 60-90min of smoking. Be sure to flip the sausages over at the 30min mark for even smoking.
7. Serve with some crusty bread to mop up all the tasty sauce.
Recipe by Michael E. Higgins