Smoked Venison Chimichurri
Prep Time: 20min
Cooking Time: 60-90min (depending on meat thickness)
• 1 Venison Striploin or Rump Roast (with any silver skin removed)
• 5 tbsp. Butter (melted)
• Finishing sea salt
Home Made Chimichurri
• 3/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 1/2 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
• 1/2 Cup Italian Parsley (chopped)
• 3/4 tbsp. Fresh Oregano (chopped)
• 4 Garlic Cloves (diced)
• 1 Lrg Shallot (diced) (or ½ a lrg Red Onion)
• 1 Red Chili Pepper (diced) (we used a Med-Hot “Pencil Hot Pepper”) (or a ½ tsp. dried chili flakes)
• Zest from 1 Lime
• Juice from ½ a Lime
• Salt & Pepper (to taste)
1. Remove the venison from the fridge 1 hour before cooking and let the meat come up to room temp.
2. Set your smoker to 250°, we used a charcoal hickory pellet but maple and mesquite would work well too.
3. When meat is at room temp, you can tie it up with a few pieces of butcher string for more even cooking and to make sure it holds it shape properly through the cook.
4. Season venison well with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, then inject it all over with melted butter.
5. Smoke venison for 60-90min, or until an internal temperature of 125-130°F is reached.
6. While venison is smoking, make your Chimichurri Sauce, simply mix all sauce ingredients, adjust to taste and let sit for at least 10min but preferably 2hrs+ for all the flavours to fully develop.
7. After temp is reached on the venison, remove and rest on a wire rack tented loosely with foil for 10min.
8. After resting, slice your venison thinly with the grain and season with sea salt and then your chimichurri sauce.
Recipe by Michael E. Higgins