One of our true favourites to cook up while in bear camp, it’s basically big chunks of tender bear meat in a thick gravy, super easy to make and tastes DELICIOUS! Be sure to SUBSCRIBE to our channel and read below for the full recipe and directions!
Also, be sure to visit and follow all our other social media platforms and website to keep up to date with all our cooking and hunting adventures and to find TV broadcast times in your area.
BRAISED BLACK BEAR IN GRAVY
Preparation Time 20min
Cook Time 1.5-2hrs
Yield 6 people
- 3-4lb Black Bear Strip Loin (trimmed and cut into 1.5″ chunks)
- 1 Large Sweet Onion (diced)
- 10 Cremini Mushrooms (quartered)
- 2 Cups+ of Beef Stock
- Sunflower Oil
- 1 Stick of Butter
- 4 Cloves of Garlic (sliced)
- 1-2 Cup Flour
- 3 tbsp Cumin (plus extra)
- 2 tbsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp Sage (dried)
- Season bear chunks with S&P, cumin, paprika, sage.
- Mix cumin (1-2tbspn), paprika, sage with the flour to make dredge.
- Dredge a handful of bear, shaking off excess flour before frying in sunflower oil over med-high heat in a large deep non-stick or cast iron pan. Turn and brown other side when done. Remove and repeat until all bear is browned, do not over crowed pan, add a little sunflower oil before every batch.
- Once all browning is done and meat is set to the side, sauté onion, garlic and mushrooms in the same pan with butter over low heat , add a dash or two of cumin and S&P while cooking, cook until onion starts to get a little colour.
- Add all meat back to pan, add beef stock, enough to almost cover all the meat but not quite fully covered. Turn heat down to low, cover with a tight lid or aluminum foil and simmer for 1.5-2hrs, giving it a stir every 20min to help from sticking and adding a little more beef stock if liquid gets too low, but not too much, in the end you want a very thick gravy coating the bear chunks.
- When done serve on its own or with polenta.
*Optional add a drizzle of maple syrup if eating on it’s own for extra sweetness.
Recipe by: Michael Higgins