One of our true favourites to cook up while in bear camp, it’s basically big chunks of tender bear meat in a thick gravy, super easy to make and tastes DELICIOUS!
BRAISED BLACK BEAR IN GRAVY
Preparation Time 20 min
Cook Time 1.5-2 hrs.
Yield 6 people
- 3-4lb Black Bear Strip Loin (trimmed and cut into 1.5″ chunks)
- 1 Large Sweet Onion (diced)
- 10 Cremini Mushrooms (quartered)
- 2 Cups+ of Beef Stock
- Sunflower Oil
- 1 Stick of Butter
- 4 Cloves of Garlic (sliced)
- 1-2 Cup Flour
- 3 tbsp. Cumin (plus extra)
- 2 tbsp. Paprika
- 2 tbsp. Sage (dried)
- Season bear chunks with S&P, cumin, paprika, sage.
- Mix cumin (1-2tbsp), paprika, sage with the flour to make dredge.
- Dredge a handful of bear, shaking off excess flour before frying in sunflower oil over med-high heat in a large deep non-stick or cast iron pan. Turn and brown other side when done. Remove and repeat until all bear is browned, do not over crowed pan, add a little sunflower oil before every batch.
- Once all browning is done and meat is set to the side, sauté onion, garlic and mushrooms in the same pan with butter over low heat , add a dash or two of cumin and S&P while cooking, cook until onion starts to get a little colour.
- Add all meat back to pan, add beef stock, enough to almost cover all the meat but not quite fully covered. Turn heat down to low, cover with a tight lid or aluminum foil and simmer for 1.5-2hrs, giving it a stir every 20min to help from sticking and adding a little more beef stock if liquid gets too low, but not too much, in the end you want a very thick gravy coating the bear chunks.
- When done serve on its own or with polenta.
*Optional add a drizzle of maple syrup if eating on it’s own for extra sweetness.
Recipe by: Michael E. Higgins