12 Minute Roasted Duck
Prep Time: 10 min (plus 2-3 days drying)
Cooking Time: 12 min
• Large Whole Duck with skin on
• Garlic Seasoning
• Hot Sauce
• Pre-made Rice (Basmati with diced onion, celery and carrot)
1. Spatchcock your duck by removing the spine with some kitchen shears. Then break the breast bone with your hands so the duck lays flat.
2. Score the skin of the duck with a very sharp knife, try not to cut the meat. (working with a cold bird make this easier)
3. Optional: For truly crispy skin, heavily salt the duck’s skin and let the duck dry up in the fridge for 2-3 days, leaving it uncovered on a wire rack above a sheet pan.
4. When you’re ready to cook, remove the bird 1-2 hrs before cooking to let the duck come up to room temp.
5. Rub-off any left-over salt. Season both sides with Pepper and Garlic Seasoning.
6. Get your pizza oven rocking to high heat, looking to be cooking around 700°F, and place a dry 10” cast iron pan in the oven so it warms up at the same time.
7. When ready add the duck to pan, skin side up, place in oven and cook for about 12 min for medium rare, looking for an internal temp of 125°F in the thickest part of the breast. Rotate the duck while cooking for even browning.
8. When done, remove duck and place on wire rack above a sheet pan and let the duck rest for 5-10 min before slicing.
9. Serve with rice and hot sauce.
Recipe By: Michael E. Higgins