Cooking up some bear on the Camp Chef at bear camp and want to share another one of our favourite ways to cook it! A great benefit to this recipe is that you can use leftovers for anything from sandwiches to nachos, breakfast and even salads!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Yield: 8 people
- 1 Neck Roast
- 4 Peppers-yellow, red, orange (halved)
- 1 Sweet Onion (quartered)
- 1 Red Onion (quartered)
- 2 Limes
- 1-1/2 cups of Beef stock+ (or one can of beer)
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 tbsp. Mexican Mole Seasoning
- 1 Package of Mexican Taco Seasoning
- Toppings and sauces for taco including wraps
- Drizzle Bear with Oil, then season with S&P and all the Taco and Mole seasoning, rubbing into meat to create paste, let marinate for 4hrs to overnight if you have time.
- Season Peppers and Onions with oil and S&P.
- Brown seasoned bear in cast-iron pot/Dutch oven over high heat and grill veggies to create grill marks.
- Remove meat from pot and place grilled veggies into same pot, then top with browned bear, add all the beef stock (should come half way up the meat, add water or beef stock or more beer if need be) squeeze all the juice from 2 limes, along with two halves of one of limes.
- Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to low and cover with tight fitting lid, cook for 3.5-4hrs, turning meat and checking liquid every 30min, add more liquid as you cook if need be. Meat will be done when it can be pulled apart easily.
- Heat up wraps and top with taco toppings and sauces.
Recipe by: Michael E. Higgins